Home PQ2 Forum
PQ2
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
PQ2 percentage explained (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Favoured: 0
TOPIC: PQ2 percentage explained
bcjohans (Moderator)
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Cedar Rapids, IA, USA Birthdate: 1975-05-28
PQ2 percentage explained 10 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 4  
In case you're wondering on how the percentage you get when completing a puzzle is calculated, it's a relatively simple formula. Generally, it's just the average of the moves and time ratio, ie: ((goal_moves/actual_moves)+(goal_time/actual_time))/2.

This applies for all puzzles except ones where either the goal is 0 moves or when you solve with 0 moves. If both are 0, that portion is 100%. If the goal moves are 0, but you solve with >0, that portion becomes 1/(2*actual_moves), and finally if you solve a puzzle with 0 moves where the goal was not 0, that portion is goal_moves*2.

I have an excel spreadsheet that calculates the percentage given the 4 input numbers. Rather than upload it, I will just paste the formula here:

Code:

=(IF(AND(C2=0,D2=0),1,IF(C2=0,D2*2,IF(D2=0,1/(2*C2),D2/C2)))+B2/A2)/2

If you open excel, and paste this formula into cell E2, then format the cell so that it's a percentage with 1 digit past the decimal point, it should calculate any level for you. This assumes that the solve time is in A2, the goal time is in B2, the solve moves is in C2, and the goal moves is in D2. You can now copy the formula in E2 down and have multiple rows with many scores listed.

If you have any questions or problems getting this to work, feel free to ask...

Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
daniel (Moderator)
Just having fun
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male danielfonseca daniel.fonseca@gmail.com msn@danielfonseca.com Location: Porto - Portugal Birthdate: 1975-12-14
Re:PQ2 percentage explained 10 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 11  
Nicely done!

Actually copying and pasting the formula might not work for everybody. For me (while I use OpenOffice, anyway - no other choice in Linux) the problem was the field/list separator. It varies according to your regional settings (gosh, I thought only MSOffice would have this problem!!)
Apparently mine is the semi-colon, while universally it's the comma.
I remember that Excel even creates a SCSV (S as in Semi-colon) instead of a CSV because of this "mess"... but still calls it .csv, of course!)

*** short story here: I once had a problem inserting a formula in a portuguese MSExcel trying to help out a friend of mine... why? because IF was not IF (and all the others)! It was the portuguese equivalent!! (My main problem at the time was guessing how in the world did they code "MID" and other functions - had lots of them)
What did I do/discover?
Well, it turns out that Excel is aware of this, so much so that if/upon opening an english-formula-filled-excel-file it automatically converts it!
Why couldn't they do it for me, like, automatically? Keep the english/standard equivalent and ambivalent... Anyway, long story short, the easiest way is to _always_ have the file. It gets automatically converted and works properly, from what I've seen.

So here it is, attached to this message (hope this works), pretty with colors and everything.

I used OpenOffice but saved as .xls (97/2000/XP format) so there should be no problems opening this to everybody:
File Attachment:
File Name: one_file.zip
File Size: 3531

(wow.. 116KB in .xls format while it only occupies 8KB as .ods format .. zipped to a mere 3.5K

Logged Logged  

Last Edit: 2008/08/26 18:21 By daniel.

"Many highly intelligent people are poor thinkers. Many people of average intelligence are skilled thinkers. The power of a car is separate from the way the car is driven." - Edward De Bono
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Go to top
Copyright © 2018 pq2fans.com. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL License.