Home PQ2 Forum
PQ2
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Fast Turning explained! (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Moves/Tips
Go to bottom Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Fast Turning explained!
daniel (Moderator)
Just having fun
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male danielfonseca daniel.fonseca@gmail.com msn@danielfonseca.com Location: Porto - Portugal Birthdate: 1975-12-14
Fast Turning explained! 8 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 11  
The subject should really be "Fast Turning explained... Finally!".

I meant to put this online for some time, now, specially since I've talked about fast turning on this forum, already. Recorded the videos on Oct 16th but only today converted the mobile stored 3gp to a format youtube wouldn't reject.

So here it goes:

Logged Logged  

Last Edit: 2008/12/19 08:56 By daniel.

"Many highly intelligent people are poor thinkers. Many people of average intelligence are skilled thinkers. The power of a car is separate from the way the car is driven." - Edward De Bono
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
daniel (Moderator)
Just having fun
graphgraph
Gender: Male danielfonseca daniel.fonseca@gmail.com msn@danielfonseca.com Location: Porto - Portugal Birthdate: 1975-12-14
Re:Fast Turning explained! 8 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 11  
A recent puzzle where without fast turning you only get 225% like F.T.Rains had, whereas I just shaved a second off for 250%: ID 13104
The "key" is always the same - it's only worth the effort if you arrive (non fast turning) just after the time changes, like this was the case and therefore a good candidate.
I voted it negative, and noticed it had already other 2 negatives, so it might not last that long.

Logged Logged  

"Many highly intelligent people are poor thinkers. Many people of average intelligence are skilled thinkers. The power of a car is separate from the way the car is driven." - Edward De Bono
Adri (User)
If you like something, you like it
Gold Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male adriyakuza@gmail.com adri_yakuza@hotmail.com Location: Madrid, Spain Birthdate: 1989-06-16
Re:Fast Turning explained! 8 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 8  
Great job Dani, both for fast turning and for the new look and features of the page.

I tried some exercises in which I was sure that using fast turning will give me the part of a sec that I needed, but then I noticed that fast turning cannot always be applied.

You said in another thread something like it won't work if there is a hole in the ground beneath. I haven't tried that one yet, but what I noticed is that it's not worth when try to fast turn in a corner, I mean, you can use fast turning free anywhere on the stage, but it won't work if you try to fast-turn in the joint of two edges (in a corner), the character wil just react stange and won't save time.

Nevertheless, it will be really useful in many other situations.

Thanks for the tip .

Logged Logged  

PQ2-CoMaster

- Would make sense if a rich says "I'd like to be rich"? - Clearly no - And what about "I'd like to be rich forever"? - Yes, that would make sense - Indeed, my friend, we don't just want the good things, but we want them forever

Foreigner said to Socrates
daniel (Moderator)
Just having fun
graphgraph
That's right. I didn't mention it because anybody who would try it would see its shortcomings, but for clarity here's what I think is the "rule": fast turning doesn't work against any type of edge, be it a wall, a hole or an object. That's why I recommended practicing on a levelled ground.

Maybe I should also mention another type of turning. I called it "Free Turning" just joking with the fast version. It does nothing for your speed, AFAIK, only for your comfort. Although there was this labyrinthical (meaning: many many turns) puzzle in which I used only this type of turning and I supposed I got 1 sec off by doing it but didn't bother to try it again without free-turning.

What I'm referring to is the act of turning without releasing your currently pressed directional button. So how does the guy turn? Well, you use the shoulder buttons (those transparent ones; I forget the official name, maybe R1 and R2 or R1 and L1) while the character is walking; basically your driving the guy left or right in the inverse manner... it's wicked!!
Had anybody else tried it? While writing this I realize I really maximize the type of fun I have in PQ2!

This is a nice way to turn since the timing is sort of "free"... it doesn't require much precision and is really cool and "freeing".
Maybe it will surprise those who never knew those buttons use (I also didn't at first - not too experimented gamer myself and with the psp only played a few games) or those who never dared doing it while the character was in motion.

Logged Logged  

Last Edit: 2009/07/26 03:51 By daniel.

daniel (Moderator)
Just having fun
graphgraph
Check Puzzle ID 13133 Bolt from James.
I have to think he's read my post about the FT.

I haven't seen Bolt yet (the movie) so I don't know about the name, but this one's really made for fast turning.

A very nice one James, if you're watching, you can join the forum, I'm a fan of your puzzles.

Logged Logged  

daniel (Moderator)
Just having fun
graphgraph
Re:Fast Turning explained! 8 Years, 4 Months ago Karma: 11  
Here's an update on this subject.

Credit goes to Bruce for being the driving force behind this one.
I dubbed it FT For The Masses (FTFTM ) in the sense that with this kind of "technique" FT becomes available to just about anybody, you don't need super-hand-eye-coordination to pull it through, like Adri so amazingly does.

What's it about?
Well, after understanding what FT is about, just use the pause feature of the game while pressing the required buttons for the FT to take effect.
Don't mind that the menu scrolls like mad, what's important is that the game receives your simultaneous FT "keystroke" when it's unpaused. That's all there is to it.

Here's my proposal, always use the same button for pause/un-pause. It should be the triangle in the non-asian (or non-japanese?) version of the game (that's what I have).

What you have to do is get the timing right, if you pause too soon, the character will FT in the current floor square instead of the next one, like you should aim at. If you see that you paused too soon, just quickly unpause and pause again (easy enough by repeatedly pressing that button) making him advance just a tiny bit - but enough for FT to be achieved only in the next square.
It also might be helpful to pause just after the FT is made so that you can press that single directional button and regain composure and not let the character wobble or loose control over him.

As always, practice makes perfect, but this sure makes FT much more of a predictable "weapon" to use from your arsenal.

With it, I was finally able to make 100% on Adri's Uber and Ultra FT puzzles. Way fun, but it took a bit longer than I expected and my thumb almost gone numb after doing them both.

Logged Logged  

Last Edit: 2009/07/26 04:13 By daniel.

Ar`Z (User)
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Re:Fast Turning explained! 6 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 2  
Cool I just learned something.

But I still find it difficult atm.

Logged Logged  
Go to top
Copyright © 2017 pq2fans.com. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL License.